Oil and natural gas producer WPX Energy (NYSE:WPX) today surpassed the nine-year mark without a lost-time accident in the Powder River Basin.
WPX was formerly known as Williams Production. At year-end 2011, Williams spun off its exploration and production business. That move created WPX, which employs 95 people in Wyoming.
Over the past nine years, WPX employees around Gillette have worked 2.1 million hours and driven 16.2 million miles without incurring a work-related injury that causes an employee to miss work.
A lost-time accident, or LTA, is a specific reportable incident whose standards and criteria are set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.“This is an outstanding accomplishment shared by the hard work of each of our team members in the Powder River Basin,” said Bryan Guderian, senior vice president of operations. “Sustaining this type of record over such a long time can be challenging within the industry when you consider the risk factors that we manage.” WPX’s office at 300 N. Works Ave. in Gillette is the company’s fourth largest in terms of employment. Its local payroll last year was $8 million. Nationwide, WPX employs more than 1,200 people. The Gillette office oversees about 3,000 natural gas wells across 411,000 net acres in Campbell and Johnson counties. Last year, WPX invested $57 million in Wyoming to drill and complete new gas wells. In 2011, the company produced an average of 227 million cubic feet of natural gas per day in the Powder River Basin, which is the equivalent of enough fuel to meet the daily energy needs of about one million homes. In Wyoming, WPX paid approximately $17 million in private royalties last year, along with another $26 million in royalties for its wells on state and federal lands in the Powder River Basin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV