BALTIMORE, April 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- New research from T. Rowe Price (NASDAQ-GS: TROW) shows that most investors (69%) between the ages of 21-50 plan to work either part-time or full-time during their retirement years. Among those who plan to work at least part-time, most (75%) will do so because they want to stay active and involved; only 23% believe they will do so because they will not have saved enough money.
These findings are highlighted in a T. Rowe Price survey about Individual Retirement Accounts ( IRAs) and the investing practices of Generation X (ages 35-50 for the purposes of this research) and Generation Y (ages 21-34). The study was conducted online in December 2011 by Harris Interactive on behalf of T. Rowe Price among 860 adults aged 21-50 who have at least one investment account.
"Beginning with the Baby Boom generation, a new vision of retirement has emerged – one that includes an active lifestyle and, for many people, continued work or even a second career," said Christine Fahlund, CFP®, senior financial planner with T. Rowe Price. "This survey suggests that, looking ahead, many younger investors are ready to adopt this relatively new approach to retirement, as well. It's encouraging that they plan to do this as a choice and not out of financial necessity. Of course, their ability to be flexible about their retirement date will require getting an early start on their savings."
Other survey findings among investors aged 21-50:
- The mean age at which they plan to retire is 62.
- The mean number of years they expect to live in retirement is 22.
- 77% expect tax rates will increase between now and when they retire.
- 43% expect a part-time job to be a source of income during their retired years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV