FEV, Inc. Announces Technology Lineup For 2012 SAE World Congress
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., April 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FEV, Inc., leading developers of advanced powertrain and vehicle technologies, announced today the technologies that it will exhibit at the 2012 SAE World Congress. The technologies were selected to demonstrate FEV's expertise in the development of propulsion and energy systems over a broad range of markets and the capabilities of the company to tightly integrate into its customers' production planning processes as they develop products for the global marketplace. Gary Rogers, FEV, Inc. president and CEO, made the announcement.
"FEV prides itself on the body of accumulated knowledge it possesses in the area of propulsion and energy systems," said Rogers. "As the nature of these systems has evolved to meet changing customer and regulatory demands, FEV has continued to expand and finely hone its expertise to address new technology fields such as e-mobility and electric and hydraulic hybrids, and has expanded its skill set to include all driveline components that are affected by this evolution. Our exhibit at the annual SAE World Congress contains examples that demonstrate the versatility and flexibility of FEV's engineering capabilities."
Technology features include:
- The KSPG Range Extender - FEV cooperated with KSPG in the development of a compact range extender that optimizes packaging, making it nearly universally applicable for small and medium-duty vehicles. The demonstrator, which weighs just over 132 lbs., is easily integrated into an existing vehicle because the vehicle interfaces are reduced to a minimum. The advantage this provides is that the range extender can be added as an accessory, or optional piece of equipment, providing a "bridge" between fully-electric vehicles and those with a supplemental source of power, should the battery energy be depleted before the driver is able to recharge.
- Protean Drive System - Protean Drive ™ is a fully integrated, direct drive solution that combines in-wheel motors with an integrated inverter, control electronics and software. With the elimination of a large, heavy, and costly independent inverter, each motor can be packaged easily in the unused space behind a conventional 18- to 24-inch wheel and can use the original equipment wheel bearing. The concept requires no gearboxes, drive shafts or differentials giving it far greater flexibility to vehicle designers. The system has the potential to significantly improve fuel economy, depending on the battery size and driving cycle.
- Ford EcoBoost 1.0L I3 Engine - The three-cylinder engine is designed for light-to medium duty Ford vehicles, and will initially be offered with power ratings of 73.5 and 92kW (98 and 123hp, respectively), providing the power of the Ford 1.6L four-cylinder, naturally aspirated engine, while offering better fuel economy and an overall weight reduction of approximately 20 lbs. Ford has stated that 73.5kW version in a Ford Focus delivers CO2 emissions of 114g/km (183g/mi) in the European combined cycle.
- Seven Marine 557hp Outboard Marine Engine - FEV will display Seven Marine's 557 hp outboard, based on the Cadillac CTS-V's lightweight, all-aluminum, fuel-injected, supercharged LSA V8, adapted for the marine market and delivering nearly 60 percent more power than any other outboard on the market.
- 2-Step VCR System - The FEV-developed 2-step VCR mechanism induces small variations in the conrod length, that are achieved by using the gas and mass forces for actuation, thereby achieving a compression ratio that is variable in two steps from 14:1 - 17:1 (in the case of a commercial diesel version). This novel concept ensures rapid and accurate actuation without the use of an expensive power actuator. Versions of the concept are available for both gasoline and diesel engines and can be applied to almost all existing engines (with bore diameters as low as 70 mm). While the obvious benefit of the VCR system is increased engine efficiency, it also offers emissions related benefits, depending upon whether applied to gasoline or diesel engines. Other potential benefits include improved cold startability and the potential to optimize performance while utilizing alternative fuels. The system can be integrated into existing engine designs due to its carry over piston and pin design.
- High Efficiency Combustion System (HECS) - HECS is an on-going R&D program being conducted by FEV that is aimed at the future of passenger car diesel engine design, targeting low CO2 and the best possible fuel efficiency. The combustion system is designed for a high specific power output of over 100 kW/L. FEV engineers designed a 200 bar peak pressure cylinder head with variable valve lift, accomplished through the use of a unique, adjustable roller finger follower for two different lifts. Variable swirl improves homogeneity of the mixture and supports better combustion efficiency. A unique seat-swirl chamfer is combined with variable valve lift to increase swirl, greatly improving combustion. The HECS concept also features advanced thermal management, incorporating split cooling and an air gap insulated exhaust gas manifold, which contributes to improved aftertreatment functionality. A dual-wall exhaust also reduces heat loss to accelerate catalyst light-off during cold starts. The HECS concept demonstrates EU 6 emissions without NOx aftertreatment in a 1700 kg vehicle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV