My own view is that what Posner has done so far to narrow the terms of debate, raise the cost of litigation, and demand clarity from litigants is drawing attention across the patent bar. This is without doubt a good thing.
Gradually, under Posner's leadership, the patent gold rush could now play out, with only the shiniest nuggets being judged valid and all parties being told that negotiating is a better way to handle commercial disputes than the warfare of trial. It won't end the patent debate, but it should encourage the biggest tech players to see that they'll make more profit doing business than fighting one another in court.
It may prove Posner's greatest contribution to the law yet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV