European shares were rebounding from losses the previous trading day while Asian stocks finished Tuesday lower. Japan's Nikkei 225 index fell less than 0.1% to close at 9,464.71.
The economic calendar in the U.S. Tuesday includes housing starts and building permits for March at 8:30 a.m. EDT, and industrial production and capacity utilization for March at 9:55 a.m.
Coca-Cola (KO), the beverage giant, is expected by analysts Tuesday to post first-quarter profit of 88 cents a share on revenue of $10.82 billion. Goldman Sachs (GS) is expected by analysts to earn $3.55 a share in the first quarter on revenue of $9.45 billion.
Yahoo! (YHOO) reports first-quarter earnings after the closing bell Tuesday, but investors' attention on the company's conference call will be turned to CEO Scott Thompson's efforts to turn around the Internet company. Thompson unveiled plans earlier this month to lay off 2,000 employees, or 14% of the work force, and realigned Yahoo! into three divisions: Consumer, (which is made up of Media, Connections and Commerce); Regions, which targets emerging markets; and Technology, which focuses on the company's infrastructure. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.
Japan's Toshiba reached a deal to buy IBM's point-of-sale systems operations used in retail stores, including cash registers, for about $850 million.
Research In Motion (KITD), the BlackBerry maker, is considering hiring bankers to help it weigh its strategic options.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV