LOUISVILLE, Ky., April 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Woodford Reserve® bourbon is unveiling the world's most exclusive mint julep cup as part of the 2012 Kentucky Derby®. The Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup Experience will feature the most exotic ingredients in the world and a collection of 75 mint julep cups designed exclusively for Woodford Reserve. Proceeds from this year's cup sales will benefit The Heart of a Horse Foundation.
For the first time ever, cup buyers will get to experience "double" the festivities as the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup Experience will feature "double" the ingredients. 2012 marks the seventh year of the program with more than $329,000 raised for worthy equine and humanitarian causes over the past six years.
"Woodford Reserve is thrilled to bring double the excitement to horse racing fans with the most exclusive mint julep cup ever to be sold," said Laura Petry, Woodford Reserve brand manager. "Woodford Reserve is crafted in Versailles, Kentucky – the heart of thoroughbred country where horseracing and bourbon go hand-in-hand and through the sale of these cups, we have the great opportunity to assist The Heart of a Horse Foundation in their horse rescue mission."There will be 65 traditional cups available as well 10 "Prestige" cups available as 2012 marks the 75th year the mint julep has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby – the traditional and Prestige cups total 75. The "Prestige" cups are sterling silver cups plated in 24 karat gold and feature a diamond studded horseshoe with 43 diamonds totaling approximately one carat. A jeweler selected and set each diamond by hand. These extremely rare cups will be double the price of the traditional cups and will be sold at $2,000 each. The traditional cups have been meticulously hand-engraved with a beautiful horse scene. The lost art of hand-engraving involves the use of seven different graver tools, and takes approximately two and a half hours per cup, which means each cup is unique. "Through the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup program we will have the opportunity to raise awareness and funds for the welfare of horses in America," said April Horowitz, The Heart of a Horse Foundation President. "We are excited and honored to be the beneficiary of this year's cup sales." Owners of the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will enjoy "double" the ingredients for the first time ever. The $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will feature the new, ultra-premium bourbon from Woodford Reserve called Double Oaked. Twice barreled in White Oak and matured to perfection in two unique, handcrafted barrels, the flavor and color characteristics are so distinctive in Double Oaked. In addition to an exclusive bourbon, the mint julep will feature "double" the unique ingredients: rare Lemon Mint grown in California alongside Kentucky Spearmint; Bourbon Mint Julep Sugar alongside Bourbon Vanilla Sugar from Louisville, KY; and ice from Versailles, KY the home of Woodford Reserve alongside ice from near Versailles, France. The 65 traditional cups and 10 Prestige cups will be presented on Kentucky Derby Day at Churchill Downs® in The Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup Experience located near the clubhouse escalator inside Gate 10. Fans are encouraged to follow Woodford Reserve online from exciting Derby events and activities via Twitter at @woodfordreserve. Visit www.twitter.com/woodfordreserve for all the details. How to Purchase a Cup Starting April 16, 2012 at noon, (EDT) consumers age 21 years and older can log on to www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com to purchase one of the 65 traditional cups or one of the 10 Prestige cups. Presented on one day, at one place only, all cups purchased must be picked up by the buyer or the buyer's proxy on May 5, 2012, Kentucky Derby Day at historic Churchill Downs. Traditional Cups 65 traditional cups will be sold online for $1,000 on a first come, first buy basis ( 2012 marks the 75th year the mint julep has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby – the traditional and Prestige cups total 75.) These individually numbered cups have been meticulously hand-engraved with a beautiful horse scene along with the 2012 Kentucky Derby date and Woodford Reserve logo and will come with a sterling silver sipping straw. The lost art of hand-engraving involves the use of seven different graver tools, and takes approximately two and a half hours per cup, which means each cup is unique. Every cup will be presented in the signature Woodford Reserve casing made from the same wood as Woodford Reserve barrels. The cups will be on sale from April 16-May 3 at www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com for $1,000. Any unsold cups will be available for purchase at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Day. Prestige Cups In addition to the 65 traditional cups there will also be 10 "Prestige" cups up for sale. These cups are sterling silver, plated in 24 karat gold and feature a diamond horseshoe with 43 diamonds totaling approximately one carat. A jeweler selects and sets each diamond by hand. These extremely rare cups will be double the price of the traditional cups at $2,000 each. The cups will be on sale from April 16-May 3 at www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com. The Mint Julep Cup's Exotic Ingredients The $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will feature "Double" the ingredients including some of the most exotic ingredients in the world:
- For the first time ever, the $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will feature the new, ultra-premium bourbon from Woodford Reserve called Double Oaked. Twice barreled in White Oak and matured to perfection in two unique, handcrafted barrels, the flavor and color characteristics are so distinctive in Double Oaked.
- As Versailles, KY is named after Versailles, France and the two cities have shared that common bond for more than 200 years, the $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will include ice made of water from Versailles, KY where Woodford Reserve is crafted as well as ice made of water from France to honor the French roots of Versailles, KY – the home of Woodford Reserve.
- Rare Lemon mint grown in California as well as Kentucky Spearmint. The combination of the very unique Lemon mint and the Spearmint adds a fresh, light enhancement to the classic Mint Julep.
- Bourbon Mint Julep Sugar and Bourbon Vanilla Sugar from Bourbon Barrel Foods in Louisville, KY. The Bourbon-Mint Julep Sugar has all the rich caramel flavors of raw sugar as well as the refreshing flavors of mint while the Bourbon Vanilla Sugar is an all natural Demerara sugar that's packed and aged with Bourbon- Madagascar vanilla beans to enhance the molasses flavors of the sugar with the richness of vanilla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV