April 16, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- Woodford Reserve® bourbon is unveiling the world's most exclusive mint julep cup as part of the 2012 Kentucky Derby®. The Woodford Reserve
Mint Julep Cup Experience will feature the most exotic ingredients in the world and a collection of 75 mint julep cups designed exclusively for Woodford Reserve. Proceeds from this year's cup sales will benefit The Heart of a Horse Foundation.
For the first time ever, cup buyers will get to experience "double" the festivities as the Woodford Reserve
Mint Julep Cup Experience will feature "double" the ingredients.
the seventh year of the program with more than
raised for worthy equine and humanitarian causes over the past six years.
"Woodford Reserve is thrilled to bring double the excitement to horse racing fans with the most exclusive mint julep cup ever to be sold," said
, Woodford Reserve brand manager. "Woodford Reserve is crafted in
– the heart of thoroughbred country where horseracing and bourbon go hand-in-hand and through the sale of these cups, we have the great opportunity to assist The Heart of a Horse Foundation in their horse rescue mission."
There will be 65 traditional cups available as well 10 "Prestige" cups available as
the 75th year the mint julep has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby – the traditional and Prestige cups total 75. The "Prestige" cups are sterling silver cups plated in 24 karat gold and feature a diamond studded horseshoe with 43 diamonds totaling approximately one carat. A jeweler selected and set each diamond by hand. These extremely rare cups will be double the price of the traditional cups and will be sold at
each. The traditional cups have been meticulously hand-engraved with a beautiful horse scene. The lost art of hand-engraving involves the use of seven different graver tools, and takes approximately two and a half hours per cup, which means each cup is unique.
"Through the Woodford Reserve
Mint Julep Cup program we will have the opportunity to raise awareness and funds for the welfare of horses in America," said
, The Heart of a Horse Foundation President. "We are excited and honored to be the beneficiary of this year's cup sales."
Owners of the Woodford Reserve
Mint Julep Cup will enjoy "double" the ingredients for the first time ever. The
Mint Julep Cup will feature the new, ultra-premium bourbon from Woodford Reserve called Double Oaked. Twice barreled in
and matured to perfection in two unique, handcrafted barrels, the flavor and color characteristics are so distinctive in Double Oaked.
In addition to an exclusive bourbon, the mint julep will feature "double" the unique ingredients: rare Lemon Mint grown in
alongside Kentucky Spearmint; Bourbon Mint Julep Sugar alongside Bourbon Vanilla Sugar from
; and ice from
the home of Woodford Reserve alongside ice from near
. The 65 traditional cups and 10 Prestige cups will be presented on Kentucky Derby Day at Churchill Downs® in The Woodford Reserve
Mint Julep Cup Experience located near the clubhouse escalator inside Gate 10.
Fans are encouraged to follow Woodford Reserve online from exciting Derby events and activities via Twitter at
for all the details.
How to Purchase a Cup
April 16, 2012
at noon, (EDT) consumers age 21 years and older can log on to
to purchase one of the 65 traditional cups or one of the 10 Prestige cups. Presented on one day, at one place only, all cups purchased must be picked up by the buyer or the buyer's proxy on
May 5, 2012
, Kentucky Derby Day at historic Churchill Downs.
65 traditional cups will be sold online for
on a first come, first buy basis (
the 75th year the mint julep has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby – the traditional and Prestige cups total 75.) These individually numbered cups have been meticulously hand-engraved with a beautiful horse scene along with the 2012 Kentucky Derby date and Woodford Reserve logo and will come with a sterling silver sipping straw. The lost art of hand-engraving involves the use of seven different graver tools, and takes approximately two and a half hours per cup, which means each cup is unique. Every cup will be presented in the signature Woodford Reserve casing made from the same wood as Woodford Reserve barrels. The cups will be on sale from
April 16-May 3
. Any unsold cups will be available for purchase at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Day.
In addition to the 65 traditional cups there will also be 10 "Prestige" cups up for sale. These cups are sterling silver, plated in 24 karat gold and feature a diamond horseshoe with 43 diamonds totaling approximately one carat. A jeweler selects and sets each diamond by hand. These extremely rare cups will be double the price of the traditional cups at
each. The cups will be on sale from
April 16-May 3
The Mint Julep Cup's Exotic Ingredients
Mint Julep Cup will feature "Double" the ingredients including some of the most exotic ingredients in the world:
About Woodford Reserve®
- For the first time ever, the $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will feature the new, ultra-premium bourbon from Woodford Reserve called Double Oaked. Twice barreled in White Oak and matured to perfection in two unique, handcrafted barrels, the flavor and color characteristics are so distinctive in Double Oaked.
- As Versailles, KY is named after Versailles, France and the two cities have shared that common bond for more than 200 years, the $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will include ice made of water from Versailles, KY where Woodford Reserve is crafted as well as ice made of water from France to honor the French roots of Versailles, KY – the home of Woodford Reserve.
- Rare Lemon mint grown in California as well as Kentucky Spearmint. The combination of the very unique Lemon mint and the Spearmint adds a fresh, light enhancement to the classic Mint Julep.
- Bourbon Mint Julep Sugar and Bourbon Vanilla Sugar from Bourbon Barrel Foods in Louisville, KY. The Bourbon-Mint Julep Sugar has all the rich caramel flavors of raw sugar as well as the refreshing flavors of mint while the Bourbon Vanilla Sugar is an all natural Demerara sugar that's packed and aged with Bourbon- Madagascar vanilla beans to enhance the molasses flavors of the sugar with the richness of vanilla.
Woodford Reserve, the "Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby," is crafted at the historic Woodford Reserve Distillery in
- the heart of thoroughbred country. Woodford Reserve is a product of the Brown-Forman Corporation, a producer and marketer of fine quality beverage alcohol brands such as
's, Southern Comfort, Finlandia,
, Sonoma-Cutrer, Chambord, and Tuaca. Please enjoy your bourbon responsibly. For more information on Woodford Reserve, visit
or visit Facebook at
About The Heart of a Horse Foundation:
The mission of The Heart of a Horse Foundation (HOAH) is quite simple when considering ethical and humane care, treatment and rescue of our equine companions. With 7 million horses in
the United States
alone The American Horse Council estimates there are over 170,000 unwanted and uncared for horses. Each year, 100,000 American horses are slaughtered unnecessarily. The Heart of a Horse Foundation's mission is to maintain and stimulate the unwavering well-being of horses in America.
About Churchill Downs®:
Churchill Downs, the world's most legendary racetrack, has conducted Thoroughbred racing and presented America's greatest race, the Kentucky Derby, continuously since 1875. Located in
, the flagship racetrack of Churchill Downs Incorporated (NASDAQ: CHDN) also operates Trackside at Churchill Downs, which offers year-round simulcast wagering at the historic track. Churchill Downs will conduct the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby on
May 5, 2012
, and its Spring Meet is scheduled for April 28-July 1. The track has hosted the Breeders' Cup World Championships a record eight times. Information about Churchill Downs can be found on the Internet at
Churchill Downs®, Kentucky Derby® and the Twin Spires design are registered trademarks of Churchill Downs Incorporated.