BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Even though Europe is grabbing headlines this morning, it's all about the earnings this week.
Earnings season is back, and it's investors' biggest hope to add some fuel to the rally that's propelled stocks for most of this year. We're in the very early stages of this quarter's earnings bout. So far, only eight S&P 500 stocks have released their numbers to Wall Street. But the early results indicate that analysts are buying the "overextended" sentiment that's shoved stocks lower in April: Five of those eight stocks have posted positive earnings surprises so far.
With record corporate profits fueling record cash positions on corporate balance sheets, it suddenly becomes a whole lot harder to be bearish -- especially if earnings surprise investors to the upside again this quarter. Almost a fifth of the S&P is slated to release earnings over the course of this week; that makes the next five trading sessions critical for stock investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV