Philip Morris USA (PM USA) today made its annual Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) payment of approximately $3.5 billion. This amount includes approximately $206 million that PM USA disputes it owes as a result of the 2009 non-participating manufacturer (NPM) adjustment.
As permitted by the terms of the MSA, PM USA paid the disputed amount into a disputed payments account pending final resolution of the 2009 NPM adjustment dispute. That money will be available, with earnings, to the prevailing parties in the 2009 NPM adjustment dispute.
“We continue working towards a resolution of the Non-Participating Manufacturer Adjustment dispute for 2009 and prior years and look forward to doing so, either by settlement or through the arbitration process laid out in the Master Settlement Agreement,” said Denise Keane, Altria Group, Inc. executive vice president and general counsel, speaking on behalf of PM USA.
PM USA has paid more than $59 billion to the states under the tobacco settlement agreements entered into with the states in 1997 and 1998. PM USA believes states should use a portion of the MSA payments to fund youth smoking prevention and cessation initiatives at the levels recommended by the Centers for Disease Control.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV