NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks finished on a mixed note Monday with robust retail sales data driving a rebound in blue-chip stocks, while heavy selling in the tech sector dragged down the other major indices.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 72 points, or 0.6% to finish at 12,921, down more than 60 points from the day's high of 12,986. The S&P 500 closed on a flat note at 1369, after flitting between the positive and negative territory during the trading session.
Apple saw its shares drop 4.1% to $580.13 on much heavier than normal volume. The stock sank below $600 for the first time in April, has fallen for five straight sessions, and is now 10% below the April 10 all-time high of $644. The Wall Street Journal said there's some chatter in the market Monday that Apple may roll out an iPad Mini at $200 later this year.Google, meanwhile, dropped 3% to $606.07, extending Friday's decline after its earnings report, which showed continued price weakness in the company's average cost-per-click metric. On Monday, the company was fined $25,000 by the Federal Communications Commission for hampering the investigation of its data collection practices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV