The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Dow and the S&P 500 may have experienced the worst two-week losses since November. Still, is it really time to panic? When one considers the reality that the major averages are less than -4% from multiyear highs, abandoning stock assets seems a bit premature. That said, you may want to avoid certain investments.
For example, a wide variety of currency ETFs have worked their way into to full-scale correction mode. The CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) is 12.4% below a 52-week high whereas the CurrencyShares Swedish Krona (FXS) is 11.8% off its peak. And while a lack of interest in European sovereign debt may be to blame, the uncertainties in the Chinese economy are adversely affecting Brazil and the value of the "real." WisdomTree Dreyfus Brazilian Real (BZF) is down 12.8% from a 52-week pinnacle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV