Intervest Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: IBCA), parent company of Intervest National Bank, today reported its financial results for the first quarter of 2012. Financial highlights follow.
- Net earnings for the first quarter of 2012 ("Q1-12") increased to $2.8 million, or $0.13 per diluted common share, from $1.7 million, or $0.08 per share, for the first quarter of 2011 ("Q1-11").
- Earnings before deducting provisions for loan and real estate losses, real estate expenses, income taxes and preferred dividend requirements increased to $6.9 million in Q1-12, from $6.3 million in Q1-11.
- Provisions for loan and real estate losses decreased to $0.5 million in Q1-12, from $2.0 million in Q1-11. The allowance for loan losses amounted to $29.2 million at March 31, 2012 and represented 2.52% of total outstanding loans.
- Net interest and dividend income decreased to $10.0 million in Q1-12, from $10.4 million in Q1-11, while the net interest margin improved slightly to 2.16% in Q1-12, from 2.14% in Q1-11. New loan originations for Q1-12 increased to $50 million, from $7 million in Q1-11.
- Noninterest expenses decreased to $4.2 million in Q1-12, from $4.4 million in Q1-11. The efficiency ratio (which measures the Company's ability to control expenses as a percentage of revenues) continued to be excellent and was 38% in Q1-12, compared to 41% in Q1-11.
- Nonaccrual loans and real estate owned (REO) totaled $81 million at March 31, 2012, compared to $86 million at December 31, 2011. Nonaccrual loans include certain restructured loans (TDRs) that are current as to payments and performing in accordance with their renegotiated terms, but are required to be classified nonaccrual based on regulatory guidance. At March 31, 2012, such loans totaled $44 million compared to $46 million at December 31, 2011 and they were yielding approximately 5%.
- Intervest National Bank's regulatory capital ratios continued to increase and be well above its minimum requirements. At March 31, 2012, its actual capital ratios were as follows: Tier One Leverage - 11.73%; Tier One Risk-Based - 16.88%; and Total Risk-Based Capital - 18.14%, compared to its minimum requirements of 9%, 10% and 12%, respectively. The Bank's Tier 1 capital amounted to $225 million and was $52 million in excess of the required minimum for its Tier One Leverage ratio.
- Book value per common share was $8.04 at March 31, 2012, compared to $8.07 at December 31, 2011, reflecting increased common shares outstanding from restricted stock awards made to directors and employees in Q1-12 under the Company's Long Term Incentive Plan.
Net earnings for Q1-12 increased by $1.1 million over Q1-11 due to the following: a $1.5 million decrease in the total provision for loan and real estate losses (resulting from fewer credit rating downgrades on loans); a $0.8 million increase in noninterest income (reflecting primarily higher income from loan prepayments) and a $0.2 million decrease in noninterest expenses (reflecting primarily a $0.5 million decrease in FDIC premiums, partially offset by a $0.3 million aggregate increase in salaries, benefits and stock compensation expense). The total of these items was partially offset by a $0.9 million increase in income tax expense (due to higher pre-tax income); a $0.4 million decrease in net interest and dividend income (as described below) and a $0.1 million increase in real estate expenses. The effective income tax rate was 45% in both quarterly periods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV