The Detroit automaker said its first-quarter sales in the traditional 19 European markets fell 7.3%, while industry sales fell by 8.1%. This enabled Ford, the No. 2 player in the market, to increase its market share by 0.1 points to 8.5%. Its sales totaled 324,400 vehicles during the quarter.
"Ford turned in a solid first quarter performance in what remains a challenging time for the entire auto industry in Europe," said Roelant de Waard, vice president, marketing, sales and service, Ford of Europe, in a prepared statement. He said Ford benefited from solid demand for the new Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost.
In the U.K. and Germany, its two top markets, Ford posted first-quarter market share declines. Its U.K. share fell 0.4 points to 15.3%, while its share in Germany fell by 0.2% points to 7.4%. But Ford gained share in seven of the 19 traditional markets including France, Poland and Spain.-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV