NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- America's greatest spas offer everything you need to rejuvenate both your body and spirit -- from Ayurvedic massage to Zumba dance classes.
"It wasn't that long ago that a hotel spa would be three treatment rooms in the basement, but the bar is constantly being raised," says John Newton of Conde Nast Traveler magazine, which polls its readers annually to pick America's best spas. "Going to the spa has become a lot less about going into the hotel basement and a lot more about having a whole experience."
Newton says the best spas have 20,000 square feet or more of elaborate fireplaces, baths and treatment rooms, as well as a wide variety of physical, spiritual and nutritional programs.
|Couples can enjoy spa treatments together at the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Utah.|
"There are places [where] going in for a spa treatment also means getting a consultation about how you should be living -- what you're doing wrong in terms of cholesterol or how you need to start doing certain stretches," he says. "[A spa visit] can change your life if that's what you want."And while even a basic massage can cost $100 or more at an upscale spa, Newton says that's a small price to pay for a relaxing time on your vacation. "People on vacation can easily spend $100 on a really nice dinner -- but once you're done eating and have paid your bill, it's over," he says. "If you spend $100 on a facial or a massage at a spa, hopefully the nice feeling you get will last at least a few days. You'll be able to relax and enjoy your vacation that much more, or be more relaxed when you return home." Here's a look at the five highest-rated facilities on Conde Nast Traveler's latest Top U.S. Spas poll, which surveyed some 25,000 readers about their favorite spas. Winning locations got the highest percentage of "excellent" or "very good" ratings for their facilities, staff and range of treatments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV