Diversified industrial firm Idex (IEX) is another name that hiked its dividend payouts this week. On Tuesday, the firm announced a 17.65% dividend increase that brings its yield to just shy of 2%.
Idex has its hands in everything from fluid pumps and metering devices to health and science products to fire and safety offerings. That business diversification is attractive for an industrial stock, but it doesn't really spare Idex from cyclical swings; fluid pumps and meters make up close to half of sales, so any hiccups in that market can still have dramatic effects on the firm's financial performance.That said, some economic tailwinds in the water industry should keep demand reasonably strong for IEX's pump and meter offerings in 2012. Financially, IEX is in good shape with ample balance sheet liquidity and a moderate debt load. That positioning should help keep those dividends flowing for the foreseeable future. The yield is a little on the low side for income investors, but this industrial has enough attractive attributes to give it a supporting role for income portfolios. Idex shows up on a list of 10 Small-Cap Stocks Safe for Skittish Investors. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV