While there have been a significant number of complaints on the mainland, there have only been a handful in Hawaii. The attorneys expect the lawsuits might lead to more complaints.
"It's a deceptive practice, because over a large number of people you can make a lot of money doing this thing," Louie said. "We want to make sure this is stopped."
Payment protection plan lawsuits have either been filed or are being prepared in West Virginia, New Mexico and Minnesota.
In 2011, Chase agreed to create a $20 million settlement fund that will refund $15 to $60 to plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit.Hawaii's lawsuits are not class actions, and while a favorable judgment may help consumers recover some of their payments, any penalties collected will go to attorney's fees and the state's general funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV