Coinstar Surges on Strong Outlook
The Bellevue, Wash.-based company said it expects first-quarter sales and earnings that exceed both its own guidance and analysts' projections. Coinstar reported preliminary revenue between $567 million and $569.2 million and earnings, excluding items, between $1.36 and $1.40 a share.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for revenue of $537.66 million and earnings of 90 cents a share in the quarter.
Investors responded positively to the company's numbers, pushing Coinstar's stock up $8.95, or 14.6%, to $70.26 in the after-hours session.Coinstar said the revenue increase was driven by stronger-than-anticipated consumer demand at its Redbox DVD rental business, particularly during February and March. Coinstar also raised its guidance for the fiscal year, projecting sales between $2.16 billion and $2.28 billion and earnings of $4.40 to $4.80 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are currently looking for revenue of $2.22 billion and earnings of $4.09 a share. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV