Coinstar Surges on Strong Outlook
The Bellevue, Wash.-based company said it expects first-quarter sales and earnings that exceed both its own guidance and analysts' projections. Coinstar reported preliminary revenue between $567 million and $569.2 million and earnings, excluding items, between $1.36 and $1.40 a share.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for revenue of $537.66 million and earnings of 90 cents a share in the quarter.
Investors responded positively to the company's numbers, pushing Coinstar's stock up $8.95, or 14.6%, to $70.26 in the after-hours session.Coinstar said the revenue increase was driven by stronger-than-anticipated consumer demand at its Redbox DVD rental business, particularly during February and March. Coinstar also raised its guidance for the fiscal year, projecting sales between $2.16 billion and $2.28 billion and earnings of $4.40 to $4.80 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are currently looking for revenue of $2.22 billion and earnings of $4.09 a share. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV