The index rose 18.86 points, or 1.38% to close at 1,387.57.
Shares of Tenet Healthcare increased 5.31% Thursday to $5.35. The hospital company is getting $84 million from the federal government through a Medicare settlement reached with the health care industry.
Tenet Healthcare shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 8.23X; the average for health care providers is 17.83X. For comparison, Amerigroup (AGP) has a forward P/E of 13.38X.Eleven of the 19 analysts who cover Tenet Healthcare rate it at hold. Six analysts give the stock a buy rating and two rate it at sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Tenet Healthcare a C- grade and hold rating. The stock has risen 4.29% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV