NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With earnings season getting into full swing, investors, analysts and market commentators will have their sights set on top companies as they continue to step up to the plate. Anticipation builds as banks and bellwethers release their most recent quarterly performance numbers and provide insight and guidance.
Billionaire Warren Buffett will surely be all ears. His investment empire Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) is not found on the list for this coming week, but a number of the companies that make up its legendary stock portfolio are.
10 Stocks That Fidelity Funds Are Buying A strong showing from these names would be a welcomed relief for investors who have watched as Berkshire Hathaway has struggled to keep up with the broader S&P 500, in recent months. The firm's 3.5% return since the start of 2012 has been dwarfed by the S&P 500's, which has more than doubled this performance. This underperformance extends beyond the past few months. Over the past year period, shares of Berkshire Hathaway are off nearly 4%. The benchmark average, meanwhile, has returned more than 3%.
As the company has grown in size, it has lost its ability to rely on small, fast-moving firms to move the needle. Instead, it has been forced to aim its acquisition elephant gun at companies like Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad and Lubrizol. While the size of these targets will help to ensure stability and security for Berkshire Hathaway over the long run, the company has been forced to sacrifice upside potential.
5 Most-Popular Stocks for Billionaires
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV