- Orthopaedic surgeons can help ensure optimal care by refusing to perform surgery on patients who smoke, said Glenn R. Rechtine, MD, an orthopaedic surgeon and associate chief of staff and adjunct professor at the University of South Florida. Forty percent of Dr. Rechtine's patients have stopped smoking as a result of his mandate.
- Richard D. Hurt, MD, professor of medicine and director of the Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic, outlined a three-step process that clinicians can initiate to help their patients stop smoking. "First, ask about tobacco use," said Dr. Hurt. "Have your receptionist ask, your nurse ask, your physician's assistant ask, and you ask – even if you already know the answer. Asking shows the patient that smoking is a serious problem that must be addressed. Then, advise the patient to stop smoking. Don't just say, 'you know, you ought to consider stopping someday.' Tell the patient, 'you need to stop smoking.' Finally, because smokers are going to push back, it's important to offer help." Each state has a free Quitline (1-800-QUIT-NOW) that provides free, telephone counseling, by trained professionals, said Dr. Hurt.
- David O. Warner, MD, associate dean for clinical and translational science at Mayo Clinic, urged the Academy to replicate the American Society of Anesthesiologists' (ASA) Smoking Cessation Initiative which strives to offer smoking cessation assistance to every patient who smokes. "Smoking is the most costly and most preventable risk factor in postoperative complications," said Dr. Warner. "Surgery is a teachable moment – one we need to capitalize on."
Smoking Associated With Hip And Knee Replacement Failure
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.