Macy's (M) is stuck in a similar setup right now. Like Staples, Macy's has been bouncing within its channel since August, climbing more than 63% since the middle of that month. A return to trend line support this week could be an optimal entry in this stock.
Macy's hasn't had as many successful tests of support as Staples has. Successful tests of support are a good thing because they clue us into the strength of that trendline support level. For that reason, it's important to get a stronger bounce off of support than we'd want to see in Staples. Today's trading session could provide that.
It's also important to keep an eye on the converging dashed trend line in the chart above; it's been acting as trend line resistance since early November, and could reign in some of Macy's upside potential. That said, a shove above the dashed line is likely to accelerate this stock's climb.If you decide to be a buyer here, I'd recommend keeping a stop on the other side of the 50-day moving average. As of the most recently reported quarter, Macy's is one of the top holdings at David Tepper's Appaloosa Management. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV