Office product retailer Staples (SPLS) is offering up a pretty straightforward pattern this week, as shares bounce higher within their trend channel. Staples has been locked in its channel since the end of August, when market volatility was skyrocketing and trading conditions were markedly different than they are now. In April, traders could be looking at an opportunity for an optimal entry in this stock.
You can think of Staples' trend channel like any other trading channel -- it's a range that's bounded on either side by a dynamic support and resistance level. Those two levels tell traders a great deal about the high-probability moves that Staples is likely to make.
Now, with this stock testing trend line support, it makes sense to buy on a bounce in hopes that SPLS will climb back up the channel.Waiting for the bounce is critical when you're trading stocks in a channel. Ultimately support and resistance levels do eventually fail, and you don't want to be left holding the bag if support can't hold up here for Staples. By waiting for the bounce, you get to see if there's still a glut of demand propping up share prices at support before you put your money on the line. Staples shows up on a recent list of 10 Stocks That Fidelity Funds Are Buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV