The Internet giant reports its latest numbers after market close, with investors eager to see whether the results can serve as a catalyst for Google's lackluster stock. Google shares have slipped 1.54% this year, compared to the Nasdaq's gain of 15.79%.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for revenue of $8.147 billion and earnings of $9.65 a share.
Sony (SNE) shares gained 15 cents, or 0.8%, to $18.90 before market open after the company announced a massive restructuring plan, which will involve 10,000 job cuts in fiscal year 2012.The Japanese tech giant also vowed to strengthen its core digital imaging, game and mobile businesses, and turn around its television operation. In November, Sony announced a plan to return its TV business to profitability in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. On Thursday, the Tokyo-based firm said that it intends to accelerate these measures moving forward, promising to reduce the number of product models and boost design engineering efficiency. Other parts of the Sony strategy outlined on Thursday are emerging market expansion and faster innovation. Sony shares tumbled earlier this week after the company lowered its results forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31. Nokia's (NOK) stock was still weighed down by the company's lowered first-quarter guidance, announced earlier this week. Shares of the Finnish handset maker were down 14 cents, or 3.3%, to $14.10 in pre-market trading. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV