NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- General Growth Properties (NYSE:GGP) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally weak debt management and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.04 and currently higher than the industry average, implying that there is very poor management of debt levels within the company.
- The gross profit margin for GENERAL GROWTH PPTYS INC is rather low; currently it is at 21.10%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -50.70% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, GENERAL GROWTH PPTYS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 67.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1,142.92 million to -$367.84 million.
- GGP's revenue growth trails the industry average of 17.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
Latest Headlines about GGP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV