The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Trefis) -- Pandora Media (P) recently released its business metrics for the month of March 2012. It appears that although the company is still growing at a strong pace, it has slowed down a bit. Pandora is looking to continue its fast-paced expansion despite increasing competition from Clear Channel Radio and Spotify, which has expanded via Facebook.
Could this competition eat up its growth as the year progresses? This is one of the major questions that investors will be pondering as the company releases its quarterly earnings.
Click here to see our complete analysis for Pandora.Pandora reported 88% growth in listener hours for March 2012, amounting to more than 1 billion. This figure stood at 567 million in March 2011. If we look at 2011 overall, the company's total listener hours were close to 8.2 billion, which implies about 680 million average monthly listener hours. This means that listener hours for March 2011 were below average, which suggests that the growth rate for the coming months could be even lower than 88%, as it would be compared to a higher base. The active listener growth for March 2012 was also lower compared to that of full-year 2011. Although growth will continue to be very healthy, it is likely to slow as Pandora faces a tougher prior-year comparison. Our price estimate for Pandora stands at $10. Click here to find out how a company's products impact its stock price at Trefis. Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV