NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the announcement that Facebook was dropping $1 billion to scoop up the photo-sharing service, Instagram, the social media landscape has again found itself thrust into the spotlight. Unfortunately, neither Facebook nor Instagram are traded publicly, so how are investors supposed to target this burgeoning corner of the technology sector?
The social media industry is still relatively young and, for ETF investors, finding a proper instrument can be a tricky endeavor. While there are a variety of options available, not all are equally appropriate. Therefore, when preparing a game plan, individuals must be prepared to do their homework.
Case in point: at first glance, a fund like the Global X Social Media Index ETF (SOCL) may seem like an obvious choice for those looking to tap into social names like LinkedIn (LNKD) or Yelp (YELP). Upon proper investigation, however, challenges quickly arise. For one, while names like LinkedIn can be found toward the top of the list, the bulk of the SOCL's index is comprised of companies that many domestic investors have likely never heard of.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV