The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Lisa Springer
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- Creating a list of high-yielding stocks is simple, but seasoned investors know that high yield alone is not a good reason to own a stock. That's because sometimes high-yield stocks report earnings that are too weak to sustain the current dividend.
If your goal is to build a portfolio that's able to deliver steady income through good times and bad, then you'll need to find high-yielding stocks with solid fundamentals, good earnings growth and a more conservative payout.Companies with modest payouts have a higher safety margin and the ability to increase the dividend to maintain the payout during bad times, or even raise the payout during good times. This makes these stocks especially appealing. In fact, studies show high-yield stocks that also have low payout ratios deliver the best long-term returns. With this in mind, I created a list of high-yield stocks with room to boost future payouts. I ran a screen for stocks yielding more than 3% while paying out less than 40% of earnings and at least five years of positive earnings growth. Here are three high-yield champions that could easily afford to raise dividends. 1. BHP Billiton (BBL) Yield: 3.7% BHP Billiton is the world's top producer of major commodities such as aluminum, coal, copper, manganese, iron ore, uranium, nickel, silver and titanium minerals. These are all natural resources that have become increasingly scarce, so BHP is ideally positioned to benefit as rising demand pushes up prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV