The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
AMD has a market share of close to 50% in the business of supplying discrete GPUs for notebooks. Going forward, the company will not only benefit from the growth in global notebook shipments, but also from an increase in discrete GPU penetration in notebooks. We estimate that the discrete notebook GPU business constitutes about 12% to AMD's stock. Let's take a look below at why this penetration will increase.
See our complete analysis for AMD.Discrete GPUs in notebooks (sold as a percent of notebook shipments) increased from 25% in 2005 to 33% in 2011. We expect this to steadily increase to close to 46% by the end of our forecast period, close to the figure witnessed for desktop GPUs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV