Priceline recently strengthened its balance sheet, issuing a $875 million convertible bond offering to help fund a buyback of stock, and add cash.
Google's (GOOG) expansion into the online travel space with its launch of Hotel Finder, higher oil prices and general weakness in the European economy are all factors that could affect priceline's core business. Priceline, however, has shown that competition is not a major concern, reporting exceptionally strong fourth-quarter results. Goldman Sachs analyst Heath Terry raised his priceline estimates because none of the above concerns have come to fruition yet. Terry rates priceline shares "buy."
Terry noted that priceline continues to gain market share. "We continue to believe Priceline's superior growth and strategic position, particularly in the European hotel market (over 80% of priceline's CSOI
Terry raised his 2012 revenue and earnings estimates from $5.8 billion and $31.81 earnings per share, to $6.0 billion and $32.02 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect $5.55 billion in revenue and $31.19 per share in earnings. He raised his price target to $875 from $700.Despite the Air Transport Association (IATA) recently downgrading its outlook for the industry, due primarily to higher oil prices, Terry noted that both passenger load factors and aircraft utilization are at or above pre-recession levels, which could lead the IATA to revise its forecast higher. Shares of priceline are up 1% to $748.69 in Wednesday trading. Interested in more on Priceline? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV