For the sixth consecutive year, Comcast Corporation, (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services, has been honored as one of the top 10 U.S. corporations for doing business with companies owned by military veterans. The National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA) recognizes large corporations that most successfully engage the nation’s three million veteran-owned businesses as suppliers.
“The Top 10 corporations that earn a spot on this exclusive list are the best in the U.S. at recognizing how well the military prepares business leaders through teaching leadership, teamwork, resolve, integrity and ingenuity,” said NaVOBA President Chris Hale. “In a tough economy corporate America is eager to partner with business leaders who embody those intangibles along with exemplary skills and dedication. We’re delighted to highlight and honor them.”
In addition to including veteran-owned businesses in their supplier diversity initiatives, Comcast and NBCUniversal have been standing up for veterans for years, including them in their hiring practices and community investments, honoring them in their programming and valuing them as consultants and advisors. The two companies spent a combined $60 million with veteran-owned businesses in 2011 and have trained countless VOBs on how to do business with both companies over the past few years.
“We are once again proud to be recognized for our commitment to create opportunities for the veterans who have sacrificed so much for our country,” said Peter Kiriacoulacos, Chief Procurement Officer, Comcast and NBCUniversal. “Our supplier diversity program is focused on creating equal access for all potential vendors. And in the case of veterans and their businesses, we believe it is our duty to help them be successful in civilian life. Both Comcast and NBCUniversal remain committed to that goal.”Last Month Comcast and NBCUniversal pledged to hire 1,000 U.S. veterans over the next three years as part of NBC News’ “Hiring Our Heroes” initiative, in which the network has partnered with United States Chamber of Commerce to help get veterans back to work. The announcement by Comcast CEO Brian Roberts coincided with a nationwide hiring fair, “Hiring Our Heroes Today,” that connected thousands of veterans and military family members with more than 100 prospective employers in person and online. Other veterans initiatives at Comcast and NBCUniversal include:
- Veteran representation on Comcast and NBCUniversal’s Joint External Diversity Council, an external advisory group that counsels both companies on their diversity initiatives.
- A commitment by Comcast Spotlight, the advertising sales division of Comcast Cable, to air a “Hiring Our Heroes” public service announcement campaign featuring NBC’s Ann Curry.
- NBC News’ yearlong series, “Making a Difference on the Homefront,” that was announced last June. The monthly stories continue NBC News’ efforts to shine a light on veterans, military families, and the issues affecting them across the country.
- Comcast’s Xfinity TV service’s lineup of special programming on Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com that explores veteran lifestyles and touches specifically on their employment issues.
- Universal Orlando Resort’s partnership with Wounded Warriors Family Support that provides assistance to the families of veterans and enlisted men and women that were wounded, injured or killed in action. Since January 2011, Universal Orlando has hosted more than 50 families at both of its theme parks and donated 230 complimentary tickets to the organization.
- Comcast’s national sponsorship of the 2011 National Veterans Wheelchair Games last August in Pittsburgh.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV