Shares of U.S. Bancorp (USB) closed at $30.34 Tuesday, returning 13% year-to-date, following a 2% return during 2011. Based on a quarterly payout of 19.5 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.57%.
The shares trade for 2.8 times tangible book value, and for 10 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate $2.97. The consensus 2012 earnings estimate is $2.69.
The Minneapolis-based lender's earnings performance over the past two years has been even stronger than Wells Fargo's, with a 2011 ROA of 1.51%, increasing from 1.16% in 2010, and a return on common equity of 15.8% during 2011, improving from 12.7% the previous year.USB will report its first-quarter results on April 17, with a consensus EPS estimate of 64 cents. Mosby expects the company to report first-quarter earnings of 68 cents, with a full-year 2012 estimate of $2.90. Guggenheim rates U.S. Bancorp a "Buy," with a $42 price target. Mosby expects USB to "experience double-digit earnings per share growth from organic revenue growth through 2012." Interested in more on U.S. Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV