Founded in 1976, Montreal-based CGI has approximately 31,000 employees around the world. It offers end-to-end information and technology processes and services, meant to provide clients with every step of technological development.
The company already has more than 700 employees across Texas. The new center will create at least 350 new jobs, and perhaps as many as 400, by 2016. Schindler said 50 people are already working in Belton and there will be 100 there by the end of the year.
Fort Hood is also about a half hour's drive away, and CGI plans to recruit military veterans and their relatives. Schindler said CGI already does a lot of work for the U.S. armed forces and, "we recognize the leadership veterans bring, the experience they bring and the commitment and dedication that they have."
The area could use an economic shot in the arm. The unemployment rate for Bell County, which includes Belton, was 7.6 percent in February and as high as 8.6 percent last year. Texas' statewide unemployment rate has fallen for six consecutive months, to 7.1 percent in February.Though it has a presence in India and other countries overseas, CGI said it is looking to expand in the U.S. because some of its American clients who have moved production to other countries are looking to restart operations closer to home and free from cultural, currency or time-zone challenges. "Belton fits within our global deliverable model because most clients now have to have global capabilities," said Peter Ihrig, who leads CGI operations in Texas. "It's India and Belton, not either-or."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV