National Car Care month is in full swing and CarMax (NYSE: KMX), the nation’s largest used car retailer, wants to make sure you’re ready for the road with these tips for keeping your car in top shape.
“Winter driving can wreak havoc on a vehicle,” says CarMax ASE Master Technician Chris Landrum. “Salted roads, tire pressure changes, ice damage, and heavy brake usage all take their toll. Following a few simple steps can help get your car ready for the next season.”
Follow these five tune-up tips from CarMax technicians:
- Wash car under-carriage: an automatic carwash that cleans the under-carriage helps remove residue winter road treatments may leave behind
- Wax after every wash: wax protects paint from the sun’s damaging UV rays
- Don’t forget about the oil: cold weather causes condensation and harmful acids can form in engine oil; so remember to change oil and filter every 3,000 miles or at manufacturer-recommended intervals
- See a professional: if the engine isn’t running smoothly or other problems arise, have your vehicle diagnosed by a certified auto technician to extend vehicle life and improve gas mileage
- Have a qualified technician check:
- Engine coolant, belts, and hoses
- All lights and lenses for cracks
- All tires, including the spare
- All wheels and brakes
- Car battery, since it works harder in summer months
- Steering and suspension for loose or damaged parts
- Air conditioner, to avoid waiting for repairs in hot summer weather
CarMax is providing car care and maintenance advice online during the month of April. For more information, or to join the conversation, connect with us on Facebook and share tips on Twitter at @CarMax using the hashtag #CarMaxTips.About CarMax CarMax, a member of the FORTUNE 500 and the S&P 500, and one of the FORTUNE 2012 “100 Best Companies to Work For,” is the nation’s largest retailer of used cars. Headquartered in Richmond, Va., CarMax currently operates 109 used car superstores in 54 markets. The CarMax consumer offer is structured around four customer benefits: low, no-haggle prices; a broad selection; high quality vehicles; and customer-friendly service. During the twelve months ended February 29, 2012, the company retailed 408,080 used cars and sold 316,649 wholesale vehicles at our in-store auctions. For more information, access the CarMax website at www.carmax.com.