The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Trefis) -- Dell (DELL) has acquired Make Technologies, its third acquisition last week alone. Make Technologies is a software modernization company that competes in the same space as Clerity, a previous acquisition by Dell. The terms of the deal with Make are, however, not disclosed.
See our full analysis on Dell
The quickest way to consolidate a fragmented market is to acquire the major players and integrate them into one single entity. This has many advantages, particularly in terms of expanding market share and pricing power. Another added advantage is that it lets the acquiring company control most of the patents in the field, essentially neutralizing patent trolling.
More M&A Activity ExpectedDell may most likely continue with its acquisition spree in areas such as software modernization, thin client desktop virtualization, networking and network security and data protection. By offering clients to move away from traditional computing to a cloud-based system, it can reduce costs for its clients. This also opens up an opportunity to cross-sell products from its other businesses such as servers, networking and storage. By coupling hardware, software and services, Dell aims to become a one-stop shop for IT cost reduction, which will put it in direct competition with players such as IBM (IBM), HP (HPQ), Cisco (CSCO) and Juniper Networks (JNPR). Click here to find out how a company's products impact its stock price at Trefis. Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV