The firm is monitoring the New York Stock Exchange stocks only advance-decline line, which it says still needs to break out; the action in the Dow transports, which haven't confirmed the near-term highs for the overall Dow index; the KBW Bank Index, which has significantly outperformed in 2012, a trend that B of A thinks needs to continue; and the level of bearishness as measured by the Investors Intelligence survey with a reading below 20% seen as a sell signal.
Meantime, earnings season is upon us and could tell the tale. Expectations are low with analysts are expecting the companies in the S&P 500 to post year-over-year growth of around 3%, down from growth of 9.2% in the fourth quarter, according to Thomson Reuters. Take Apple (AAPL) out of the equation, and that drops down to 1.8%.
With such a modest bar to clear, the stage may seem like it's set for corporations to outperform and send stocks even higher. But the possibility of that scenario playing out has to be balanced against the significant appreciation that equities have already enjoyed. Many of the best-performing stocks this year were the biggest duds of 2011, and the bargain hunting can only carry the market so far. If 2012's rally isn't going to stall, stocks may have to actually earn it from here.
The banks will start setting the tone later this week with JPMorgan Chase (JPM) opening its books before Friday's opening bell. Bank of America (BAC), up more than 50% and the biggest percentage gainer in the Dow in 2012, will follow on April 19. BMO Capital previewed its expectations for the sector on Tuesday and it sees some cause for concern, especially given how far the financials have already run up in 2012."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV