What the Jobs Report Actually Means for Borrowers
But it's important to be aware that these stories are aimed at people who speculate on changes in bond prices. Jitters about the U.S. economy, the European debt crisis and other problems around the world, cause a "flight to safety" which causes investors to buy up Treasuries. That heightened demand pushes up Treasury prices.
That's fine if price speculation is your game. But higher prices drive down bond yields, which is tough on people counting on steady income. This is probably not a good time for income-oriented, buy-and-hold investors to pile into bonds. The 10-year Treasury pays a scant 2%.
If and when the recovery does pick up, your bonds could fall in value as demand shifts to newer bonds with higher yields. You would then have an unpleasant choice between living with below-market yields for the long term, or selling your bonds at a loss.
Given these risks, ordinary bank savings are not so bad. You won't earn much, but your principal will be safe - and available to invest for bigger returns after the economic situation is clearer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV