NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks sustained deep losses Tuesday with eurozone worries once again front and center amid growing trepidation about Spain's economic stability.
All three major U.S. equity indices lost ground for a fifth straight trading session. Sentiment took an abrupt turn for the worse after European stock markets finished with sharp drops. Traditional safe havens drew buyers with bonds and gold on the rise.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 214 points, or 1.7%, to close at 12,716. The S&P 500 fell 24 points, or 1.7% to close at 1359. The Nasdaq plunged 56 points, or 1.8%, at 2991, surrendering the 3000 level for the first time since March 13.
The 10-year Treasury bond rose 18/32, pushing the yield down to 1.98%, its first trip below 2% since March 12.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV