LAKE FOREST, Calif., April 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Spring is here and more Americans are taking part in their favorite outdoor sports and activities, but many are not taking easy steps to protect their eyes. In fact, almost half are not wearing sunglasses, which can lead to serious eye problems, including macular degeneration, sports injuries and even some cancers.
According to a national survey just completed by N3L Optics ®, the nation's only sports performance sunglass retailer, while 85 percent of Americans feel eye protection is a major component of their overall good health, less than two thirds are wearing eye protection consistently while outdoors, and only about a third of those age 18-24 do so.
The survey also found that one in 10 American adults has experienced an eye injury while participating in outdoor sports and activities. Men are twice as likely to have an eye injury than women. April is "Sports Eye Safety Month" and, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), nearly 90 percent of sports eye injuries can be prevented.
"Most people would never go out in the sun for an extended period of time without sunscreen," said Bobby Dean, Education Director at N3L Optics. "Your eyes need that same kind of UV protection to prevent serious damage, and sunglasses are the best way to get that protection."The majority of those surveyed report worrying about their eye health, but nearly one in four do not know that sun exposure can cause eye cancer or cataracts. "N3L Optics was created to be a leader in educating Americans about proper eye protection," Dean said. "Our Gearus are trained to listen to your needs and use our cutting-edge technology to make sure customers have the right performance sunglass or goggle for their sport or outdoor activity."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV