Of course, you could turn this series of options trades around, particularly if you anticipate strength post-earnings. You could write the covered call first. From this perspective, I would consider selling the Apple May $660 call and collecting $22.15 ($2,215), as of Monday's close. If Apple soars post-earnings and you end up getting your shares called away, you've realized a roughly 7.2% gain.
To come to that number I used Monday's closing price of $636.23 on Apple. One hundred shares would run you $63,623. If you put in an order to sell your shares at $660, you would turn a 3.7% profit if it gets triggered. When you factor in the covered call income of $22.15, however, you generate gross proceeds of $68,215 and a 7.2% gain. That's powerful stuff, particularly if you enter the virtuous cycle by turning around and selling an Apple cash-secured put after you get your shares called away in a covered call trade.
For more on these and other basic options strategies, consider subscribing to my weekly Options Investing Newsletter.
Disclosure: At the time of publication, Rocco Pendola held no positions in AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV