San Jose, Calif.-based Harmonic cited slow order activity in the early part of the quarter and a decline in demand from its European customers. The company said it now sees revenue of $125 million to $128 million and non-GAAP gross margin of 46-48%. Its previous projection was for revenue of $132 million to $142 million in the period and gross margin ranging from 50-52%.
Harmonic sees non-GAAP earnings at 2 to 3 cents a share for the three-month period ending in March. The current average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters is for a profit of 9 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $136.6 million.
The stock was last quoted at $4.70, down 5.2%, on volume of more than 75,000, according to Nasdaq.com. Based on Monday's regular-session close at $4.96, the shares were up a little less than 2% in 2012."The combination of lower digital video processing sales in Europe and increased cable edge sales impacted our gross margins in the first quarter," said Patrick Harshman, the company's president and CEO, in a statement. "Looking ahead, our bookings growth and expanding footprint lead us to expect sequential growth in the second quarter and, more generally, point to the fundamental strength of our business." Harmonic said total bookings rose 8% in the first quarter to $142.5 million, and that it still expects non-GAAP operating expenses in the range of $56 million to $57 million, in line with its prior guidance. The company plans to release its full quarterly results on April 24.
VIVUSShares of VIVUS (VVUS) dropped more than 7% to $21.31 on volume of nearly 300,000 after the company said the review date of its new drug application for Qnexa has been extended by three months. The company said it's been informed that the Food and Drug Administration has moved the Prescription Drug User Fee Act date for its review of Qnexa's NDA to July 17 from April 17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV