MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) â¿¿ Attorneys for Massey Energy now have until June 18 to formally respond in court to shareholders who say they were deliberately misled about the coal company's safety record.
The parties agreed to the new deadline in a filing in U.S. District Court in Beckley. Judge Irene Berger recently rejected Massey's motion to dismiss the case.
Institutional shareholders led by the Massachusetts Pension Reserves Investment Trust say Massey lied about its safety record before the Upper Big Branch mine disaster killed 29 West Virginia miners in April 2010.
Only after the worst U.S. mining disaster in four decades did the shareholders learn the extent of the company's problems.They argue that corporate deception artificially inflated stock prices between 2008 and 2010. Massey has since been bought by Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV