The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Trefis) -- Yahoo! (YHOO) has gone ahead with its restructuring plans and confirmed that it has cut 2,000 jobs in various divisions, amounting to around 14% of its total workforce. This is one of Yahoo!'s biggest layoffs yet and comes at a time when Yahoo! is struggling to keep up with its competitors in markets it once dominated -- search and display advertising.
Yahoo! CEO, Scott Thompson, announced that it plans to save around $375 million following these layoffs, and create a smaller, nimbler structure which is more profitable and able to innovate more quickly in order to compete with the likes of Google (GOOG) and Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV