We've noticed that the dividend-buying really started to kick in at the beginning of the April quarter. The dividend was announced on March 18 and the stock rallied to $601 the next trading day. Where did the stock finish the quarter? $599. In the five trading days since the quarter began the stock has rocketed up to $635.
Why did the dividend buyers wait? It's because of the volatility of Apple. If those funds would have immediately bought Apple and the stock had dropped into quarter's end, it would have ruined their quarterly returns. That kind of risk is exactly what fund managers try to avoid. Instead, they waited until the start of the new quarter which gives them three months of hold Apple which mitigates any volatility shocks. The institutional demand continues to be obvious from today's reversal.
Besides Apple, our position in Dangdang (DANG) has surged since the day we bought it. We are increasing our allocation by another 2% today as the stock is up to $11. We are choosing to sell out of Sina and Yoku and put that capital into DANG. It's amazing to think that one year ago this stock traded as high as $26 a share. The stock is benefitting from its new partnership with Gome that allows Dang to sell computers and electronics on its site.
Dangdang is also in the process of strengthening its e-commerce presence with the introduction of a pinterest type app. The stock finished the week of March 9 at $6.47. It's been a good month to jumpstart momentum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV