NEW YORK (TheStreet) - AT&T (T) is selling a majority stake in its Yellow Pages phonebook directory unit to private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management for roughly $950 million, as large telecoms continue to hang up on printed directory businesses.
As part of the deal, Cerberus will pay AT&T $750 million in cash and a $200 million note for a majority 53% stake Yellow Pages that will give it control of a printed phonebook business that reaches roughly 150 million homes and drew in $3.3 billion in 2011 revenue.
|AT&T Dials In Cerberus for Yellow Pages Sale|
AT&T will keep a minority 47% stake in Yellow pages, as it continues to focus on bolstering its service of mobile smartphones like Apple's (AAPL) iPhone. In December, antitrust regulators blocked a $39 billion merger between AT&T and T-Mobile USA, which would have expanded AT&T's wireless network and helped it keep pace with competitor Verizon (VZ).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV