LAS VEGAS TheStreet -- Chris Hill started working for a phone company back in 1977. Today, he works for a business software company.
But the thing is, Hill hasn't changed jobs. He still works for AT&T (T).
"Talk to everyone here. From the CEO on down, you won't hear a person talking about this business as a phone business," Hill said. "We are a business services firm. Phones help us do that, but we are a software services company."
I met Chris earlier this year while he was talking through AT&T's makeover on the balcony of a Las Vegas show hall. Stage crews at the Palms Hotel were hammering together a splashy new set below us. It was an apt setting to talk about AT&T's transition.
|AT&T is set to unveil its business mobile apps center, hoping to capture the interest of entrepreneurs.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV