The broad indexes were mixed, after the U.S. Labor Department reported that initial unemployment claims for the week ended March 30 were a seasonally adjusted 357,000 declining from 363,000 the previous week. Continuing claims for the week ended March 24 fell 16,000 to a seasonally adjusted 3.34 million.
Earlier on Thursday, stocks were weak, after yields on Spanish 10-year bonds rose another 12 basis points to 5.81%, their highest level during 2012.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) pulled back slightly to close at 48.86.AIG's shares have now returned 42% year-to-date, following a 52% decline during 2011. The shares trade for 11 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $2.89, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $2.73.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV