As Apple seemingly tries to have everyone own an "iDevice," the Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant added to its list of U.S. carriers this week.
With just 400,000 subscribers, nTelos will start selling the selling the iPhone on April 20 for $50 less than AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ). The 16 GB version of the iPhone 4S will sell for $150, $250 for the 32 GB version, and $350 for the 64 GB version. NTelos will also sell an 8 GB version of the iPhone 4 for $50.
Apple shares closed the week up 6.31% to finish at $633.68.
Apple's suppliers were also in the news this week, with Qualcomm (QCOM) announcing a dividend hike. Qualcomm, which makes chips for the iPads and iPhones, as well as a host of other smartphones and tablets, announced on Tuesday that it will raise its quarterly dividend from 21.5 cents per share to 25 cents per share. The raise is effective June 20. Shares of Qualcomm gained 0.76% during the week, to close at $67.19.
Yahoo! (YHOO) slashed its workforce on Wednesday, cutting 2,000 jobs in an effort to improve profitability and focus on its core businesses. In a press release, Yahoo! CEO Scott Thompson said, "We are intensifying our efforts on our core businesses and redeploying resources to our most urgent priorities. Our goal is to get back to our core purpose -- putting our users and advertisers first -- and we are moving aggressively to achieve that goal." Shares of Yahoo closed out the week lower, off 2.1% at $15.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV