ASCEND is a multinational, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled Phase 3 trial designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Esbriet® (pirfenidone) in IPF patients with mild to moderate impairment in lung function. The primary endpoint is lung function, as measured by change in forced vital capacity (FVC) from baseline to Week 52. The trial will enroll a total of approximately 500 patients who are randomly assigned 1:1 to receive oral pirfenidone (2403 mg/day) or placebo.
The primary endpoint in the ASCEND study is change in percent predicted FVC, with the primary outcome analysis a Rank ANCOVA at Week 52. The magnitude of effect will be presented on a categorical basis as the proportion of patients with decrements of less than 0% or greater than 10% at pre-specified study time points.
Patient eligibility criteria for ASCEND include the following:
- Centrally confirmed diagnosis by High Resolution Computed Tomography (HRCT) (+/- surgical lung biopsy)
- %FVC 50% - 90%
- %DLco 30% - 90%
- FEV1/FVC ratio greater than 0.80
- Time since IPF diagnosis greater than six months and less than four years
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts