Finally, let's take a look at mid-cap communications firm Frontier Communications (FTR), a stock that's forming a textbook example of a classic technical pattern. Right now, Frontier is forming a double bottom, a setup that's identified by two swing lows that occur around the same level following a downtrend.
Those two bottoms tell us that there's a glut of demand for shares of Frontier below the $4 mark.
The buy signal for Frontier comes on a push above resistance at $4.70. At that point, Frontier's downtrend is broken, and the high probability trade turns to the bulls' side. Besides the appearance of this pattern, there are a couple of other factors that make this setup a textbook double bottom: first, volume has been declining throughout the pattern - while that sounds like a negative, it actually lends confirmation to the pattern.On the breakout, we'll want to see volume spike as more buyers participate in the move. The other factor is momentum -- RSI has been uptrending since the first bottom in shares back in February. That provides bullish confirmation of a move higher in April... To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV