A similar setup is shaping up in shares of railroad stock CSX (CSX). Despite going into 2011 as a defensive favorite, CSX is another name that got shellacked in the last year, falling 15% at the same time the S&P was able to post meager gains.
Part of that weakness comes from CSX's status as a transport sector stalwart. At the front end of the business cycle, transport stocks suffer first when times get tough. But on the flipside, they're also the first to benefit when the economy rebounds.
Now investors are getting signaled that it's time to board this train.Like Juniper, CSX is forming an ascending triangle bottom, in this case with a resistance range between $23 and $23.50. While the existence of a resistance range makes the setup in CSX a bit tougher to trade, the basic rules are the same: we're looking for a breakout above $23 before it makes sense to buy. Because of that secondary resistance level at $23.50, we don't have as clear a view of where the glut of supply of shares exists for CXS. For that reason, I'd recommend taking on a starter position at $23, then scaling into the stock as it pushes through $23.50. Regardless of how you opt to enter the trade, it makes a lot of sense to keep a protective stop just below the $21 swing low. CSX, one of Highbridge Capital Management's holdings, was one of 7 UBS Stock Picks for 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV