"Cruze is genuinely compelling and well-executed," Brauer said. "People are not so brand-loyal if they see a better alternative. People who thought American cars weren't good enough were willing to give Cruze a chance, and it is certainly within Lincoln's grasp for the same thing to happen."
Immediately following the Lincoln MKS unveiling that was the principal event of the auto show's media day on Wednesday, Jim Farley, Ford group vice president of global marketing, sales and service, acknowledged that "as a challenger brand, it's up to us to invent something new.
""In the past, Lincoln has been kind of a neglected brand," he said. "People were not waking up saying, 'I am going to trade in my Lexus' "for a Lincoln. But Farley, who previously ran Lexus for Toyota, said that in the luxury segment he learned a lesson from Gucci and Burberry .
"I know one," Farley said. "The one thing that luxury customers always want is they want something new."-- Written by Ted Reed at the New York Auto Show >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV